Wednesday, January 07, 2009

It's Pajammah Time (sung to "U Can't Touch This," MC Hammer)

The other day, I woke up with one of the epiphanies I get from sleeping too late in the morning. A lot of my really grand ideas come to me while I’m in a half-conscious state – or at least due to the zone my mind occupies at the time, my ideas are grand only-in-my-own-mind. (Example: Sometimes these balloon-helium highs result in a decision to start a skydiving career, so I don’t always trust the ideas from further down the dream-pipe.)

That light-bulb moment (Oprah’s given us so much new vocabulary) though, was a real winner – the sticking kind. I decided one day into the New Year that I really did have a resolution. Wow! I never like to force these decrees (for obvious reasons) (and apparently this one’s been with me for a while since it’s a chapter of my last blog), but here goes:

I WILL spend one minute each day in my studio.

Sweet. Simple. Steadfast. And further mused (is mused a verb?) by my friend Lela. Lee was supporting a fellow Weight Watcher buddy (she used to be a Weight Watcher counselor) with something she just read about resolutions. That something was the reasoning that we seem to fail at resolutions because they are often hard-to-impossible to live up to. In order to succeed, we need to make baby-step goals that are not only achievable, but give us those little victories to boost us on when we succeed. The idea is that we can string a lot of little victories together to change our worlds (and win at resolutions).

My goal of a minute each day seems ridiculous on one hand, but entirely doable and like a slightly sneaky self-psych project on the other. I tried it last night. My one minute turned into ten-plus and I ended my time with a head full of inspiration. Then, I worked another hour at my computer doing a little research that spurred me back downtown (my studio is in my basement) the next day.

Yep! On the third, I got up and the first thing I did – in my pajammahs (Pajammah Time) – was run down to my studio where I stayed ‘til I was so hungry, it was eat or feint on my found objects! I spent two-and-a-half hours working and grinning from ear-to-ear!

Today’s the 7th and I have been (really, I’m not lyin’) working in my studio each and every day. The time varies from about ten minutes to three hours, but I think I’ve psyched myself out in a totally good way. Sometimes I’m in my jammies; sometimes I’m not – but I’m ALWAYS present with my good junk working these little hands of mine!